Monday, September 15, 2008

Dajue Si

Of course, Dajue Si is really all about the turtles.

Chinese stone eaves are amazing. They're so Greek-temple-wooden-architecture-made-from-stone. You can let grass grow in them with no ill effects and they have fantastic plasticity.





Turtles! There were awesome turtle ponds.


Mr. Chang is a friend of the Satterwhites. He drove me to Dajue-si. This is his taxi. I forgot to get a photograph of the man himself (--_< )!

Dajue Si is a temple located approx. 50km to the n/w of Beijing. It is very pretty, and very old. About 1000 years old, Ming Dynasty, Qing dynasty, even one dynasty that I'd never heard of but which, it turns out, made its seat at Dajue Si after being overthrown; this temple has seen them all. One of the famous water temples of ancient Beijing. Among other things, I came to Beijing to visit this temple. Also, I bought some plums from a fruit vendor outside of the main gate. Those plums were delicious.